[MREL]Reskin of Nomads Garand, Looks like new.


Grain
09-12-2003, 11:59 AM
Grain's "New" Garand

This was an attempt to recreate the look of the new Garand for sale from Springfield Armory seen here (http://www.springfield-armory.com/images/rifles/M19106Large.jpg) , as well as my first attempt at skinning. I used Nomads Garand and replaced the wood texture with one I had worked on in Photo Shop. The metal parts are originally by Polygon, I cleaned up most of the scratches and darkened it to make it look like it was new.

Credits:
Model: Nomad
Original Skin(the metal parts): Polygon
New Wood: Grain

Download: http://www.dodhq.net/~OFM/e-xoops/modules/mydownloads/viewcat.php?cid=40

Grain
09-12-2003, 12:01 PM
This is a darker version of the same skin. It looks more like itís from the war era.

It can be downloaded at the same link as above.

Dr. Crawford
09-12-2003, 01:14 PM
its a great reskin for the wood, i would just make it more darker and browner.

Billie|Joe
09-12-2003, 02:13 PM
me uses!!!!

R3aveR
09-12-2003, 02:29 PM
**** sorry grain mate i forgot about the skin. I just had heaps of exams over the last two weeks as well as assignments and i havent had much time but i see u have done a great job.

Sgt.Sinister
09-12-2003, 04:13 PM
Did you just place the wood that was attached in that thread and put it on this Garand???

There's like no lighting or anything done to it.

strider_d_3000
09-12-2003, 06:53 PM
it kinda look like a swade gun in game...

09-12-2003, 07:06 PM
It looks bad, there's no lighting done on the wood, and by darkening the metal you took out all of the detail in the skin.

strider_d_3000
09-12-2003, 07:27 PM
i like the wood but the only prob i see is the wood it looks like a swede gun... all furry and stuff......

speedealer
09-12-2003, 08:08 PM
Could I have your permission to alter this and, if you approve, release it as a re-reskin?

Alaric
09-12-2003, 10:47 PM
very nice skins, both of em

keep up the good work *sticks thumb up*

Grain
09-12-2003, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by Mike[1stid]
by darkening the metal you took out all of the detail in the skin. I deliberately removed the scratches. It's supposed to look new.

Originally posted by strider_d_3000
i like the wood but the only prob i see is the wood it looks like a swede gun... all furry and stuff...... Are you loading up the model or are you judging from the attached image, thatís the JPG compression. It doesnít look "furry" to me in game.


Originally posted by speedealer
Could I have your permission to alter this and, if you approve, release it as a re-reskin? Well exactly how do you intent to alter it?

PedroTheLion
09-12-2003, 11:59 PM
nice work, i don't like the "fresh" look that it has, but if i did i'd be using this for sure! and i have to say, from the screenshot the wood looks really good.

Sgt.Sinister
09-13-2003, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by Alaric
very nice skins, both of em

keep up the good work *sticks thumb up*

He didn't really skin anything..he just added the metal strips onto the wood which isn't really doing much.

strider_d_3000
09-13-2003, 02:26 AM
this garand have lots of potential so much that it rivals mr.fu's "new garand" if only some one do a better color wood..no offence i like the orange in all but i somehow get the feeling of swede lol

Trigger
09-13-2003, 02:26 AM
Whether or not there was much effort put forth has no relation to how good Alaric or anybody else thinks it is. There's no need to debunk his work, it's a different skin that he took the time to make and release, nothing wrong with that.

Looks decent to me, but it's always difficult to judge from screens. It certainly wouldn't hurt to add some highlites and shadows to the wood though.

Grain
09-13-2003, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by Trigger
Whether or not there was much effort put forth has no relation to how good Alaric or anybody else thinks it is. There's no need to debunk his work, it's a different skin that he took the time to make and release, nothing wrong with that.

Looks decent to me, but it's always difficult to judge from screens. It certainly wouldn't hurt to add some highlites and shadows to the wood though. I tried doing that but it always came out looking like crap. At least the highlights did. The shadows were ok but not great.

I am using Photoshop, what tools and methods should I use to obtain good looking shadows and highlights.

strider_d_3000
09-13-2003, 02:43 AM
try making a bright orange not light orange and not to dark kinda like the ak-47's orange in other words your 2nd garand but a little lighter nothting like your first garand's wood

travis
09-13-2003, 07:09 AM
yeah they look really nice...i would use them but errrrrrr i love my 3.1 garand :D

gmow
09-13-2003, 08:37 AM
zee wood is incorrect

Russ. Conscript
09-13-2003, 02:01 PM
actually it isnt if you look at the referance he used :|

09-13-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Grain
I deliberately removed the scratches. It's supposed to look new.


I'm not talking about scratches, I'm talking about detail. It doesn't look like metal anymore..just a lot of black with two white stripes down the sides.

Grain
09-13-2003, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Mike[1stid]
I'm not talking about scratches, I'm talking about detail. It doesn't look like metal anymore..just a lot of black with two white stripes down the sides. I don't know what you mean by detail then?

strider_d_3000
09-13-2003, 03:52 PM
i think the metal looks fine...

Trigger
09-13-2003, 04:01 PM
The most popular way is with dodge and burn set to a very low opacity, 2-5% and slowly build it up until it looks good. or, use the polygonal lasso, and roughly outline the area you want to be lighter or darker, then press ctrl+j to copy it to another layer, and change the blend mode to multiply to darken it, or screen to lighten it. Then take the eraser with a large soft edged brush, and soften out the edges of the new layer so it blends properly.

Littlejerry
09-13-2003, 09:13 PM
I like the metal dark like that, reminds me of my Autococker. The wood is odd though, it looks as if it was never finished and simply sanded down or something since there is no lighting on it.

strider_d_3000
09-13-2003, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Littlejerry
I like the metal dark like that, reminds me of my Autococker. The wood is odd though, it looks as if it was never finished and simply sanded down or something since there is no lighting on it.
My words exactlly:D

Grain
09-17-2003, 02:44 AM
Ok I added some highlights and shadows. I also reduced the color saturation of the wood a bit and increased the contrast slightly.

Howís this?

leeh
09-17-2003, 03:46 AM
got to admit

this does look very nice

Rotkopf
09-17-2003, 04:54 AM
this looks better to me then the last versions. I would use it if you could release.

Liebgott
09-17-2003, 06:46 AM
that looks so sexy, if i wasn't in a laegue where we can't use customs, i would be using it

[AGM]# R0MM3L #
09-17-2003, 10:29 AM
omg i've made me too a garand :


http://forum.2037.org/files/glider.png

Grain
09-17-2003, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Rotkopf
this looks better to me then the last versions. I would use it if you could release. It tool me quite a while to get my first 2 hosted(some of the placeless I sent it havenít even responded yet.) If someone can help me in this area it would be greatly appreciated.



Anyways, I fixed the texture alignment of the Wood just behind the receiver.

Before it was aligned at 90degrees with the rest of the wood, now it looks much more seamless.

Compare this with the earlier pic.

Billie|Joe
09-17-2003, 08:50 PM
i'd def. use when released:D

lol it doesn't look like the refrence pic anymore but still looks fine a** to me

Rotkopf
09-18-2003, 02:15 AM
send it to me via email. henning.the.s at gmx.de .... (split because of spam bots)

I can accept up to 5 mb per email. that should be enough. Iīll get it hosted at dodmaps.com afterwards.

Grain
09-18-2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Rotkopf
send it to me via email. henning.the.s at gmx.de .... (split because of spam bots)

I can accept up to 5 mb per email. that should be enough. Iīll get it hosted at dodmaps.com afterwards. Alright. Let me just get the P and W models done and gets some in game images together. then Ill send you the Zip.

Grain
09-19-2003, 01:07 PM
OK Rotkopf I mailed it to you. I'll make a new release thread once its hosted.

Hereís a preview.

Engineer
09-19-2003, 08:13 PM
I like it! Me and Rotkopf were talking on ICQ this morning about it. (as well as other things)

Day of Defeat Forum Archive created by Neil Jedrzejewski.

This in an partial archive of the old Day of Defeat forums orignally hosted by Valve Software LLC.
Material has been archived for the purpose of creating a knowledge base from messages posted between 2003 and 2008.